This course is for you if you are a new Rails developer who has just completed boot camp and are wondering, “Now what?”
It covers the edge cases and gotchas often missed debugging techniques, essential upgrading advice, and more. Its intention is to give an important introduction to the slightly harder parts of Rails.
This course, on the other hand, is more of an overview to help the beginner-intermediate Rails developer learn some advanced debugging techniques and implementation patterns (ok, we can call them “tricks”). This course does not get deeply into code architecture.
It is a popcorn-style course: Although it is presented in sections, you do not need to take it in order, you may skip around and go through each lesson as you need it.
Before you begin this course you should have a solid understanding of the basics of MVC and Rails ActiveRecord relationships (has_many, belongs_to, has_many :through, etc).
- Matz is Nice and So We Are Nice
- Identity Crisis
- Uninitialized Constant OBJECT (while in a Rake task)
- Rails Magic Autoload (Zeitwork)
- Avoiding Fat Models by Preferring Composition Over Inheritance
- Learning Postman
- Advanced Rails Debugging
- Ruby Debugging Basics
- Cache or Bust
- A Word About Flash Messages
- OpenStruct Secret Tool
- Antipattern: Fire & Forget
- Who is N+1?
- Learning ActiveRecord
- Upgrading to Rails 3, 3.1, and 3.2 (Antipattern: Staying on Very Old Versions of Rails)
- Upgrading to Rails 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 (Antipattern: Staying on Pretty Old Versions of Rails)
- Upgrading to Rails 5.0 (Antipattern: Staying on an UNSUPPORTED version of Rails)
- Upgrading to Rails 5.1 + 5.2
- Upgrading to Rails 6.0
- Upgrading to Rails 6.1 (The Current Release)
- Rails Migrations Tips & Tricks
- ActiveRecord Chainable Scopes
- Enumerated Types in Rails and Postgres (Rails 6 only)
- The Magic of Enums in Rails
- Adding jQuery to a Rail 6 App using Webpacker
- Rails 7: Up & Running with JSBundling
- Rails 7: Options for Bootstrap, Turbo, Stimulus, and React
- Rails 7: ImportMap-Rails with Bootstrap, Sprockets, Stimulus, and Turbo (Long Tutorial)
- Rails 7: ImportMap-Rails with Bootstrap, Stimulus, Turbo (Quick Setup)
- Rails 7: Stimulus JS Basics
- Rails 7: Turbo Your Rails
- Ensure with Explicit Return
- Working with Mobile Phones
- Rspec with Capybara + FactoryBot Setup
- Ruby 2 Keyword Arguments