1. Check “Key Caps” (Apple Menu)
Does the keyboard appear correctly in Key Caps? Skip to step 3. If they keys in key caps are the wrong letters, you probably have selected the wrong keyboard layout.
2. Check the keyboard layout selected from the keyboard menu. The keyboard menu is the only signified by a country flag, and appears only when more than one option is specified in the Keyboard Control Panel. Switch the menu back to
3. Trash the keybaord preferences.
4. Test keybaord on another machine.
5. Test known good keyboard on problem machine.
6. Restart with “Mac OS Base” extensions.
7. Restart with extensions off.
8. Clean install.
[ADDED 1/28/02 by JFB]